Helen Thomas, Counsellor Psychotherapist, MBACP, PG Couns. Psych.
Are anxiety, depression or feelings of emotional distress making life and relationships miserable? Are you struggling to find a way forward and feel hopeful about life? If so, I can help.
I offer caring, effective, fully confidential and professional counselling support to help you make sense of what's going on for you and discover a more fulfilling and meaningful way of living.
I am an experienced person-centred/integrative therapist who works for two leading local counselling organisations as well as in private practice. I have over 20 years’ experience of working with people in distress/challenging circumstances in health and social care settings and have managed, supervised and trained other practitioners in this work.
I draw on a range of therapeutic approaches (including relational, existential, solution focused and CBT techniques) to provide what works best for each individual person.
Although I would always say that I work with people first and foremost and not just their ‘issues’, I have a particular interest in the following areas:
· Depression (hopelessness, loss of meaning and purpose)
· Grief and Loss
· I have many years’ experience of working in health/social care settings – both directly with people experiencing difficulties and challenges in their lives and in supervising and training others in this work.
· In addition to private practice, I work as a counsellor for two leading counselling organisations within North Staffordshire.
There are very few ‘issues’ that I haven’t come across in my work and my flexible integrative approach means that I can draw from a wide range of therapeutic approaches to find what works best for you.
My therapeutic model
As an integrative counsellor, I draw on a wide range of therapeutic approaches, including psychodynamic theories of how people work, cognitive-behavioural techniques (CBT), neurolinguistic programming (NLP) and emotional focusing.
I have a fundamental belief that every person has within them the potential for growth, change and healing. My task as a counsellor is to create the conditions for recovery and change to occur through creating safe, caring, empathic and hopeful relationships with my clients.
· Postgraduate Diploma in Counselling Psychology, Keele University
· Certificate in Counselling, Keele University
· NLP Practitioner/Timeline Therapy, qualitycultureuk
How can you be sure you will receive a safe, professional service?
· I am a member of the BACP, the regulatory body which oversees standards for the provision of counselling and therapy services
· I am fully insured and maintain my professional expertise through regular professional supervision and training/development
I think I might be interested, what now?
Please contact me to explore how I can help. Because I know that counselling can feel like a huge step, I offer an initial session at half my usual fee to explore how counselling might be helpful for you.
If you want to find out more, please do get in touch either via the web form or by text, indicating when you are free for a chat.
If you decide to go ahead, we will arrange regular sessions at the Hope Street Centre in Sandbach.
My standard fees are:
· Counselling psychotherapy - £40.00
Reduced fees can be negotiated depending on circumstances.