Unresolved trauma can create unhappiness, emotional pain and difficulties in day to day life. Whatever has happened to you, therapy can help and can offer hope, support and relief from the symptoms of your distress.
Trauma counselling can help with the following problems:
- Anxiety and stress
- Relationship difficulties
- Sexual problems that are psychologically driven or trauma related
- Life limiting conditions
- Violence and interpersonal problems
- Complex childhood trauma and neglect
- Dissociative disorders
- Gender and sexuality issues
- Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder
- Grief and Loss
- Traumatic experiences such as car or work related accidents
- Recent traumatic events
- Medico legal issues
How can trauma counselling or therapy help me?
- Reduction in trauma related symptoms such as anxiety, depression or phobias
- Coming to terms with past experiences
- Increased wellbeing and confidence
- Personal and professional development
- Self-awareness & empowerment
- Improved coping strategies
- Increased capacity to manage stress
- Healthier relational boundaries
I have been working in mental health for over 20 years. I am passionate about my work and have spent many years working with addictions and in the field of mental health rehabilitation. I went on to qualify as a counsellor and psychotherapist in 2008 and have specialised in sexual health and trauma within the NHS for over 10 years. I am an existential psychotherapist with a special interest in trauma, PTSD, complex PTSD, childhood trauma and dissociation. I am experienced in dealing with sexual trauma, abuse, sexual problems such as erectile dysfunction and vaginismus and issues with sexual and gender identity.
I believe that we can all learn to deal with traumatic experiences and find meaning for them. Learning to understand our experiences with the help of a therapist can lead to post-traumatic growth and help to build resilience against future traumatic experiences. I am a member of the British Association of Counselling and Psychotherapy (BACP) and an Accredited Practitioner of Eye Movement Desensitisation and Reprocessing (EMDR) as well as a member of the Professional Standards Authority Register of Counsellors & Psychotherapists.
I facilitate the North Staffordshire and Cheshire EMDR Peer Support group for EMDR therapists in the area who want a confidential space to discuss EMDR, theory and case studies for continuing professional development.
- 2008 Member British Association of Counselling & Psychotherapy
- 2009 Diploma in Integrative Therapeutic Counselling – Person Centred & Gestalt
- 2010 BA (hons) Counselling – University of Gloucestershire
- 2014 EMDR Training Parts 1, 2 & 3
- 2014 Certificate of Proficiency –Professional Standards Agency BACP Register of Counsellors and Psychotherapists
- 2018 EMDR Accredited Practitioner
- 2018 Facilitator for South Cheshire & Staffordshire EMDR Peer Support Group
- 2019 Post Graduate Certificate in Clinical Supervision – Sherwood Institute for Psychotherapy (ongoing)